On the hunt for a new mattress and want to make sure you’re getting something that’s truly organic? As a self-declared mattress obsessive, I was intrigued to give the Una a try and see if it lived up to its claims of being a modular and organic option. In this review, I’ll be breaking down everything you need to know about the Una mattress, from its construction to its feel, so you can decide if it’s the right choice for you. Let’s get started!
- Made of 100% organic certified natural materials
- 6 adjustable firmness levels
- Handmade to the highest social and environmental standards
- Climate-friendly / negative carbon footprint
- 100-night trial period and 10-year guarantee
- Good for back and side sleepers
- Lots of sizes
- Quite dear to buy
- Not suitable for those who prefer a plush/soft mattress
- Heavy and difficult to move around
- Not made in the UK (Germany)
Looking for a new mattress can be a daunting task. With so many options available, it’s easy to get overwhelmed and confused. But what if there was a mattress that not only provided exceptional comfort but was also eco-friendly and customizable to your specific preferences?
Enter the Una mattress, a “modular” or customisable mattress made with organic latex foam and designed to provide maximum comfort and support. It’s an outlier and probably not something you’ve heard of before, being made in Germany. But I’m told it has an extensive sales history over there – and it’s from the same country that gave us the Emma Sleep company.
|? Sleep trial:
|? Price (king size):
|Organic latex and GOTS certified cotton cover
|Single, EU Single, Small Double, Double, EU Double, King, EU King, Super King, Emperor
|? Comfort layers:
|Organic latex foam, natural wool, micro coils, support foam
|Free standard delivery within 5-7 working days
|Removable and machine-washable cover made with organic cotton and wool
|Organic latex foam, natural wool, micro coils, support foam
Una Mattress: About the Cover
The cover of the Una mattress is made of organic cotton and wool blend, which creates a soft and breathable surface for you to sleep on. The cotton used in the cover is certified organic by the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), which means it is free from harmful chemicals and pesticides, and has been responsibly grown and processed.
The wool used in the cover is also certified organic, ensuring that it is ethically and sustainably sourced. Wool is naturally flame-resistant, which means that there is no need for any chemical flame retardants to be added to the mattress. Not only is this better for your health, but it also makes the Una mattress more eco-friendly.
Now, I know that some people might be wondering about the practicality of the cover. Well, the cover is not machine-washable or dry-cleanable, so you need to be careful when it comes to cleaning it. If necessary, Una state that you can spot clean it with mild soap and water. Some customers have reported successfully washing the cover on a cold, gentle wool/hand wash, but I didn’t test it, and cannot take responsibility if for any reason the cover shrinks. 😉
The cover also features a zip to open it, which is handy when it comes to changing the order of the soft, medium, and firm layers inside the cover. But let’s be real, zip can sometimes be a bit of a pain to deal with.
The Una Mattress has three layers of organic latex foam for ventilation – and that’smore than pretty much any mattress on sale in the UK at this price.
What’s quirky is that you can adjust the mattress’s firmness to your liking by moving between the soft, medium, and firm layers. You can adjust the layers to your preferred level of firmness and support, and then cover it with the plush organic wool and cotton cover and have a wonderful night’s sleep. GOLS certification guarantees that the organic latex foam layers are chemical-, microplastic-, and metal-free. The several layers work together to mould to your body and relieve pressure points, leading to a more comfortable night’s sleep and a stronger back in the morning.
- Organic Cotton and Wool Cover: The Una Mattress is covered in a luxurious organic cotton and wool blend cover that is soft, breathable, and naturally fire-resistant. This is completely detachable and machine washable.
- Soft Organic Latex Foam Layer: The top layer of the Una Mattress is made of soft organic latex foam. It has a density of 75 Kg/m3 and gently conforms to your body’s curves to provide a plush, comfortable sleeping surface. This layer is perfect for side sleepers who need a little extra cushioning for their shoulders and hips.
- Medium Organic Latex Foam Layer: The middle layer of the Una Mattress is made of medium organic latex foam. It has a density of 85 Kg/m3 and offers a balance between support and comfort. This layer is suitable for back sleepers and those who need support for their lumbar region.
- Firm Organic Latex Foam Layer: The bottom layer of the Una Mattress is made of firm organic latex foam. It has a density of 95 Kg/m3 and provides a sturdy base for the mattress. This layer is ideal for stomach sleepers and those who need extra support for their lower back.
About the latex: Is it any good?
More and more of us are looking at buying either a latex mattress topper, or even a full latex mattress. And the Una has been voted as one of my favourite, top latex mattresses for a while.
Now, the Una mattress is made from GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard) certified natural latex foam. Here are some key properties of latex foam:
- Latex foam is naturally antimicrobial, hypoallergenic, and dust-mite resistant, making it a great option for people with allergies or sensitive skin.
- It is also highly durable, and can last up to 20 years with proper care.
- Latex foam has a unique feel compared to other mattress materials like memory foam or innerspring coils. It is generally described as having a bouncy, responsive feel that is both supportive and comfortable.
- The foam is also naturally temperature-regulating, meaning it can help keep you cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather.
- Organic latex foam, like the kind used in the Una mattress, is free from harmful chemicals and toxins commonly found in other foam mattresses, making it a healthier choice for both you and the environment.
- The negatives? Latex is both heavy and expensive.
Una Mattress: My Sleep Trial
Every Una mattress comes with a 100-night trial period, or to put it another way, more than three months to test out the mattress and decide whether it is right for you. This is an excellent feature as it allows you to try out the mattress in your time… If you are not satisfied with the mattress, you can return it for free and receive a full refund.
As I found out, the return process is not complicated, and Una will arrange everything for you. In addition to the trial period, the Una mattress comes with a 10-year guarantee, which is what most mattress manufacturers offer these days. This guarantee provides peace of mind knowing that if there are any faults with the mattress due to workmanship or materials, Una will repair or replace it for you.
Believe me, trying to rank mattresses in terms of firmness & comfort isn’t easy. 😉
This is because every sleeper has their own ideal level of mattress firmness and it’s hugely personal.
It’s great, therefore, that Una built their mattress so you can choose the level of hardness that works best for you. There are a total of six distinct firmness settings on this mattress, allowing you to find the perfect balance between comfort and support.
Here’s an tutorial video of how to do change the firmness:
And if you and your partner sleep together but enjoy very different levels of firmness, this is the kind of thing you’ll want to look into. The double mattress allows for separate left and right side adjustments on a single, unified bed. That settles the age-old debate about how soft or hard a mattress should be.
The nearest thing I’ve seen to this is the Nrem / Tweak Slumber mattress.
Overall then, the firmness of your mattress is a factor that should be considered because it can affect the quality of your sleep and, by extension, your health.
Sleep Style: Will the Una suit me?
If you’re one of these then the Una will likely benefit you:
- People who prioritise their health and want a chemical-free, organic mattress.
- People who want an adjustable mattress with customizable firmness levels.
- People who want a mattress made with natural, eco-friendly materials.
- People who experience back or joint pain and need gentle support for a restful sleep.
- People who share a bed with a partner and need the ability to adjust each side’s firmness level separately.
- People who want a long-lasting mattress that can last up to 20 years with proper care.
Who won’t benefit:
- People who prefer a very soft mattress with a plush feel.
- People who prefer a very firm mattress with minimal give.
- People who have a limited budget, as the Una mattresses are priced higher than some other options on the market.
- People who prefer a traditional innerspring or memory foam mattress.
The Una mattress prides itself on being an eco-friendly and climate-friendly mattress. It is made from 100% organic certified materials, including natural latex foam, organic wool, and organic cotton. The wool and latex foam used in the mattress are tapped from organic groves of Hevea trees, and are free from harmful chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, and other synthetic materials.
Not only are the materials organic, but they are also certified by leading organizations for their environmental sustainability. The natural latex foam used in the Una mattress is certified by the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS), which ensures that the material is responsibly sourced and produced with minimal environmental impact. The organic cotton and wool used in the mattress cover are certified by the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), which guarantees that the materials meet strict environmental and social criteria throughout the entire production process.
In addition to a pledge to lessen their impact on the environment, Una also offers products with a climate-neutral certification. Mattresses made from natural latex foam benefit the environment and the battle against climate change since the Hevea trees used to produce the foam absorb carbon dioxide from the air every day. In addition, Una often donates to rewilding and reforestation organisations like Treesisters.
If you buy the Una mattress, you’ll receive a 10-year guarantee. This covers any defects in materials and workmanship. If your mattress develops any issues during this time, Una will repair or replace it for free, but do keep in mind that the guarantee is voided if the mattress has been misused or not cared for properly.
Overall, the 10-year guarantee provides added peace of mind and shows that Una is confident in the quality of their product. However, most mid-range and premium mattresses in the UK now come with a 10 year guarantee, and some more pricier ones like Vispring can come with 30-year guarantees!
Is it heavy?
The organic and modular layers that make up the Una mattress make it a strong but heavy-ish mattress. Weights range from 27kg for the smallest single to 60kg for the largest Emperor. This weight can make moving and setting it up a bit more challenging, especially when working alone or if you need to move it up stairs.
Once it’s in place, though, its weight makes for a bed that feels solid and supportive.
What other mattresses should I consider?
There isn’t really a 100% exact competitor because there aren’t any other latex mattresses around with modular zones like this. But here are the nearest big-brand rivals:
- Emma Premium: This mattress is an upgraded version of the original Emma mattress, with an additional layer of foam for added comfort and support. It also comes with a removable and washable cover. The Emma Premium has a 200-night trial period and a 10-year warranty.
- Simba Hybrid Pro: The top-of-the-line mattress from Simba, with an additional layer of micro springs for added comfort and support. It also features a unique “3D Airflow” layer for improved breathability. The Simba Hybrid Pro has a 200-night trial period and a 10-year warranty.
- Nectar Memory Foam: This is the original Nectar mattress, made entirely of memory foam for pressure relief and support. It features a cooling cover to prevent overheating during sleep. The Nectar Memory Foam has an impressive 365-night trial period and a lifetime warranty.
- Nectar Premier (UK): The 28cm-deep Nectar Premier provides superior comfort and support. Precision engineering allows the mattress to respond to all body forms, delivering the optimal softness and firmness. The mattress’s super-soft cover with heat-wicking technology will help you sleep cool. The Nectar Premier is ideal for hot sleepers and those who are living in warmer climates than the UK.
The Una mattress is a premium product and is priced accordingly. It is not the cheapest mattress on the market, but its organic and eco-friendly materials, modular design, and 100-night trial period make it a worthwhile and all add to the cost.
That said, there are frequent discounts avaialble meaning you can reduce the price considerably if you time it right .
|90 x 190 x 24cm
|90 x 200 x 24cm
|120 x 190 x 24cm
|135 x 190 x 24cm
|140 x 200 x 24cm
|150 x 200 x 24cm
|160 x 200 x 24cm
|180 x 200 x 24cm
|200 x 200 x 24cm
Conclusion: Una Mattress
The Una Organic Mattress is a premium, eco-friendly mattress that comes with a fairly high price tag. That said, it is a great option for those who are looking for a natural, chemical-free sleeping experience, and who are willing to invest in a high-quality product made partly of latex. The modular design allows for customisation of the firmness levels, making it a great option for couples with differing preferences too.
This mattress will suit those particularly:
- Environmentally conscious individuals looking for an eco-friendly sleeping solution.
- People with allergies or sensitivities to chemicals who want a natural, organic mattress.
- Those who prefer a firmer sleeping surface and want the option to customize the firmness.
- Couples with different firmness preferences who want a mattress that can be customized to their individual needs.
- Those who are willing to invest in a high-quality, durable mattress that comes with a decent guarantee.
What is the Una mattress made of?
The Una mattress is made of three layers of organic latex foam, along with a wool and cotton cover. The latex foam is naturally hypoallergenic, breathable, and durable, while the wool and cotton cover helps regulate temperature and wick away moisture.
Is the Una mattress suitable for all sleeping positions?
Yes, the Una mattress is designed to provide support and comfort for all sleeping positions. The three layers of latex foam adapt to the contours of your body, providing pressure relief and spinal alignment, regardless of whether you sleep on your back, side, or stomach.
Can I try the Una mattress before I buy it?
Yes, when you purchase a Una mattress, you get a 100-night trial period. This gives you over three months to try out the mattress in the comfort of your own home and decide whether it's right for you. If you're not completely satisfied, Una will arrange for the mattress to be picked up and you'll receive a full refund.
This post contains affiliate links. Learn more.
WhatMattress has strict sourcing guidelines and we try to rely on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations where possible.